Trauma Services at Dell Children's Medical Center is designed to provide the Central Texas community with comprehensive health care services for the injured child.
What is Trauma Service?
Trauma Services is a multidisciplinary team of surgeons, nurse practitioners, nurses, registrars, social workers, child life specialists, injury prevention educators, therapists, researchers, and support staff who work together to care for children who have suffered a serious physical injury.
Trauma Services manages the treatment of trauma patients from the moment they are admitted to the hospital, through rehabilitation and entry back into their homes and communities. In this way, Trauma Services ensures patients receive comprehensive care throughout their recovery.
Trauma Services also includes a comprehensive Injury Prevention program and research programs to educate families on child safety and advocate for children at local, state and national levels. In addition, there is a vibrant research program within Trauma Services to investigate new technologies, evaluate educational programs, and drive changes to advance the clinical practice of trauma care.
What is special about the Trauma Service at Dell Children's Medical Center?
- Dell Children's serves as the only pediatric Level One Trauma Center in Central Texas
- The Trauma Service's Injury Prevention Program works to lessen the burden of pediatric injury through provision of injury prevention education for the community, delivery of resources for patients, innovative research, and advocacy at the local, state and national levels to promote policies that protect children. Areas of interest include:
- Encouragement of the proper use of child safety seats, booster seats, seat belts, bicycle helmets, and other safety devices
- Prevention of child abuse
- Parent education to improve parental supervision practices
- Educating children to make safe decisions independently
- The Trauma Service trains resident physicians and provides Continuing Medical Education through Trauma Grand Rounds.
- Research is a vital component of the Trauma Service. Areas of interest include:
- The effects of risky alcohol use on pediatric injury, and evaluation of a program within the hospital to curb parent's use of alcohol
- Evaluation of injury prevention curricula and initiatives
- Surveillance of pediatric injury in the Central Texas area
- Examination of outcomes in children with severe traumatic brain injury
- Through Trauma Services, we are:
- a member of Safe Kids, a worldwide network with a commitment to provide ongoing child safety educational programs locally.
- providing education for physicians, nurses and emergency response personnel throughout Central Texas.
- training resident physicians.
- leading Teletrauma medicine throughout Central Texas. This allows outlying areas access to our trama team through video technology and real time consultation, when every minute counts and stabilizing a child needs to occur before transport to Dell Childrens is possible.